1 – ANNOUNCEMENT
The company Maier S. Coop. hereby announces the “8th Maier S. Coop International Design Competition”, focussing on Automotive Vehicle Design, from both the standpoint of Style and Colour & Trim.
2 – THEME
Today we are attending to some crucial changes around the car pushed by environmental issues, social trends and new uses.
In the next ten years electric drive trains will make possible a more dramatic change on the proportions of the entire vehicle than the combined changes from the past 30 years.
Besides, every single area will be rethought with new functionalities linked to advances in aerodynamics, electronics, charging or lighting.
In a scenario where cars will be designed to look nice and to be more functional, light will have a key role, expanding to areas that until now were just conceived by style criteria.
How light will influence both Style and Colour & Trim of the 2025+ car?
The aim of the contest is to show the integration of light on Colour & Trim design (new aesthetics, finish, materials) and Design/ Styling (new concepts, products) linked to new functionalities and see how they will affect the following specific environments of the vehicle:
- Exterior front module (front grille, trims, etc.)
- Exterior upper side (B/C pillars, etc.)
Take into account subjects as Materials, Colour, Interaction with the Environment, Use, Semantics…etc.
Show us your vision of how light will change the way we see cars beyond 2025!
3 – PARTICIPANTS
Any natural person or legal entity may present their candidacy, as an individual or as a group.
4 – PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS AND PRESENTATION RULES
Please read these instructions carefully before submitting a project.
Projects must be comprised of the following four deliverables:
- Moodboard (Inspiration Panel)
The Moodboard or Inspiration Panel is the deliverable that graphically represents a study of the conceptual line of Colour & Trim, indicating the direction of vehicle exterior aesthetic finishes.
This deliverable must contain at least 1 image size DIN A3, in a high quality pdf or jpg format with a resolution of 300px.
- Material sample book
The Material Sample Book is the deliverable that indicates how to produce the Colour & Trim lines contained in the Inspiration Panel using real physical materials.
The material sample book presentation format must include at least 1 horizontal rigid panel sized DIN A3 with the materials proposed by the competitor attached or stuck to it.
Concerning the application of light, please focus on the cover material that lets light through it. Electronic or lighting devices are not required from participants. Maier will supply the jury with a light table to show the effect through the material indicated by the participant.
- Vehicle application
This deliverable represents the Colour & Trim design applied to the design of the 2025+ vehicle.
The designs of the following environments will be evaluated:
- Body Exterior Front Module (front grille, trims, etc.)
- Body Exterior Upper Side (DLO, pillars, mouldings, etc).
This deliverable must contain at least 1 image, size DIN A3, in a high quality pdf or jpg format with a resolution of 300px.
Please, pay attention to detail!
The Abstract is the deliverable that covers the story on which the project is based, as well as the number of explanations necessary to facilitate its understanding.
Mention of possible production technologies used to obtain the proposed Colour and Trim finishes shall be valued (only for professional participants).
The Abstract must be written in English.
Incomplete projects may be disqualified.
None of the deliverables must contain any element (name, initials, signature, etc.) that identifies its author or authors.
Only the PROJECT NAME should be visible in all of them.
5 – PROJECT DELIVERY
Project delivery instructions available at https://www.maierdesigncompetition.com/submit-your-project/
6 – PROJECT SUBMISSION DEADLINE
The project presentation period ends on Thursday, 28th March 2019.
Projects submitted for competition shall not be returned nor shall any correspondence be entered into or any information be provided about them.
7 – GUARANTEES PROVIDED BY THE PARTICIPANT
The competition participant certifies and guarantees to Maier S. Coop. the following:
- That the project is original and has not been presented to any other competition or any other forum, neither verbally nor in writing.
- That he/she is the sole and exclusive project author (where the project has been produced by more than one person or by a company, they certify and guarantee that they are the sole and exclusive authors) and that it does not infringe, either directly or indirectly, the rights of third parties.
- That on its date of submission to this competition, he/she is the sole and legitimate owner of the industrial and intellectual property rights for the project (in the event that the project has been produced by more than one person or by a company, they certify and guarantee that they are the sole and exclusive owners).
- In the event that the participant is a natural person, that the project has not been created within the context of employment or the service of others.
8 – JURY
The jury is responsible for choosing the winners.
The jury’s evaluation criteria is based on:
- Innovation of design proposals.
- Quality of deliverables.
- Applicability to automotive sector.
The final jury composition shall be notified before the end of the project presentation period.
We consider the possibility that the defence of the finalists will be perform in person before the Jury.
9 – PRIZES
Four prizes have been established:
- Prize for professional designers: Award, €8,000 and Material Connexion Bilbao licence.
- Prize for students: Award, €4,000 and Material Connexion Bilbao licence.
- Prize for the best material sample book: Award, €2,000 and Material Connexion Bilbao licence.
- Prize for the best University: Award, €1,500 and Material Connexion Bilbao licence.
In the event that the jury decides that none of the work presented meets the conditions for the award, the prizes may go unawarded.
The prizes are indivisible.
The jury’s decisions are final.
10 – AWARDS CEREMONY
The awards ceremony will be held on Friday, 28th June 2019 in Bilbao – Bizkaia (Spain).
11 – PROJECT DISSEMINATION
The competitors grant Maier S. Coop. authority to publish, communicate, present or disseminate verbally, in wiring or graphically, the projects presented to competition, whilst always mentioning the project author.
12 – REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
13 – PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
Maier S. Coop. will process participant’s personal data in accordance with the terms of Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13, on the Protection of Personal Data, for the sole purpose of running this competition.
14 – APPLICABLE LAW
This competition is subject to Spanish law.
15 – DISPUTE RESOLUTION
In the event of a disagreement between the participant and Maier S. Coop in relation to the competition or the terms of these Rules, the Courts and Tribunals of Bilbao, Bizkaia (Spain) shall have jurisdiction to decide on any such dispute.
16 – ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES
Participation in this competition supposes full acceptance of these Rules.
17 – COMMUNICATION
The official source of information are the web page www.maierdesigncompetition.com as well as the Competition’s Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/MaierDesignCompetition/) and all communications, modifications and progress regarding the competition shall be published on the aforementioned web sites.
The Competition Organising Committee